Ani DiFranco (Cruïlla)

Ani DiFranco was one of the artists on this year's line-up that I didn't want to miss. Somehow, I had never managed to see her live before. And, although I don't know all of her 19 records by heart, she's an artist that's had a special place in my heart for a long time now. Of course, her folk rock is a style that goes with me. But obviously, her feminist iconic status can only be appealing to someone like me. I can't help but feel that a voice like Ani DiFranco is now more necessary than ever.

So first time I saw Ani DiFranco live was at the Cruïlla festival, which, incidentally, happens to be one of my favourite festivals. I've already explained how much I enjoy the diversity of artists the festival invites year after year and the incomparable diversity it brings to the world of festivals that is usually so characterized by very specific labels. I guess these circumstances were quite fitting to see this artist live for the first time! And it turned out to be one of the best shows I could enjoy this year at Cruïlla. This woman is absolutely lovely! So much energy and generosity coming from the stage... I think I probably couldn't stop smiling for the whole gig! Well, smiling and nodding my head in approval. Ani DiFranco is a committed artist and she didn't miss the opportunity to call for solidarity with refugees or for the protection of women's reproductive rights. Painful reality indeed... which is exactly why voices like her are essential!

In summary, an excellent, excellent gig that really made me want to see her again soon!





Commentaires