Xavier Rudd & The United Nations (Cruïlla)

I discovered Xavier Rudd some time ago at Rock en Seine. Back then, he was alone on stage and able to captivate an audience playing the didgeridoo, the drums, the guitar and singing at the same time (well, not singing while playing the didgeridoo obviously but you get the picture!). I saw him again at Cruïlla a few years back, not alone anymore but with a support band. The result had been slightly less spectacular in my opinion but I still enjoyed the show. This year, Xavier Rudd was on tour with a band called The United Nations (no, I'm not kidding) and I got to see him both at Solidays and Cruïlla. I was quite disappointed by the show at Solidays. Honestly, I found it a little boring. I felt like the overall band was just another reggae band like any others and that the uniqueness in style and energy of Xavier Rudd somehow got a little lost in the middle of something more conventional. Maybe they were just a little tired, maybe I was, I have no idea. Truth is their gig at Cruïlla was excellent! I didn't want to give up so easily so I went and I enjoyed every bit of it! The hippie thing going on here is definitely not what convinces me most but I genuinely appreciate and admire Xavier Rudd's energy and generosity. The musicians were quite good as well, but I have to admit that a part of me still hopes to see Mr. Rudd alone on stage again, with his didgeridoos, guitar, drums and whatever he wants to bring along...


Commentaires